Thursday, April 26, 2007

Loving Languedoc

In celebration of wine blogger Wednesday's quest for Languedoc and Roussillon wines under $30, I scanned the virtual shelves of WineEx and found 3 bottles of wines from Rene Rostaing, who I vaguely knew from his cult status in Cote Rotie--I've not had any of his "La La" reds yet but do have a couple of bottles from 1999 and 2000 waiting for the right moment to enjoy. The wine in question is the 2003 Rene Rostaing Dom. Puech Chard Coteaux du Langeudoc, which cost $27 a bottle and checks in at 13% alcohol. The wine is apparently 80% Syrah, 10% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre, but I could not confirm that with any certainty. I drank two of the three bottles I picked up over the past few weeks, with consistent tasting notes from both.

Tasting Notes: dark red in the glass, blueberry bark nose, gravel, herbs of Provence and some black fruit dominate mid-palate, with slightly harsh tannins and a touch of effervescence that blows off after a few minutes. Fairly balanced though unrefined with no finish to speak of. This wine is rustic, with various sharp edges, and seems unfinished, as though a key step in the final vinification process is missing. Perhaps the grapes are too young from this vineyard to make a more complete, complex wine. I could drink this Languedoc now and then and be reasonably satisfied but know that I can find better Syrah blends for $27 or less out there.

Rating: Good.

Cheers, Barrld

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Barrld,

You are an early bird, actually doing WBW for May in April!

In any case, your efforts are well-received. I've had $27 bottles from Coteaux du Languedoc lately and none of them happened to sell me as much as the ones around the $20 mark. In general, I think we might be able refine the value range in the roundup. Hope there will be more critical but useful reviews like yours.

Cheers,
Marcus

Barrld said...

Thanks Marcus, I ws chomping at the bit. Seems to me that the more expensive Languedocs may be trying to be something else (Rhones?) while those in the $20 range are more comfortable in their skins, in you will.

Best, Barrld